Let’s talk about fragrances. Those lovely smells in shampoo, face lotion, soap, and laundry detergent….may not be so lovely after all.
The reason is that synthetic fragrances can be made with anywhere from one to hundreds of chemicals. Most fragrances are a hidden source of phthalates–which are chemicals linked with endocrine-disrupting effects.
Endocrine what? It means they mess with your hormones, immune system, and metabolism. That’s not good.
Here are 5 simple ways to protect yourself from harmful fragrances:
- Read labels. If the ingredient list says “fragrance” with no other explanation, leave the product on the shelf.
- Choose fragrance-free. Look for products labeled as “fragrance-free” or “phthalate-free”
- Don’t use perfume. Perfumes are the most likely products to contain a mix of synthetic fragrances and phthalates.
- Make your own. If you love smells, learn how to use essential oils to get the fragrances that make you happy.
- Choose non-toxic health and beauty products. I love using the site: – EWG Verified
Let’s learn from each other. Drop a comment below with your favorite essential oil or non-toxic beauty product.